Alebrije - Glyph
◇ Technique: Hand painted on copal wood carving.
◇ Dimensions: 50 x 71 x 52 cm.
Zapotec figures whose original name is "tonas" or "nahuales".
This huge piece carved in copal wood required 3 years of work due to the drying times of the carving as well as the enormous detail that it has in the painting. Something peculiar about this Alebrije "GLYPH" are precisely the glyphs that are embodied in the wings: symbols of the Mexica calendar - animals of the Zapotec calendar - what each animal represents.
1. Mazatl/ deer protection animal.
2. Itzcuintli/dog. Protection animal.
3. Tochtli/rabbit. Fertility animal.
4. Cuauhtli/eagle. power animal.
5. Coral/snake. power animal.
6. Ocelot/jaguar. power animal.
7. Ozomahtli/monkey. Healing animal.
Simultaneously, they are related to the regions of the state of Oaxaca, Cañada, Costa, Istmo, Mixteca, Papaloapan, Valles and Sierras. A unique piece worthy of the best public or private collections of Fine Mexican Art.